Sunday, January 27, 2013

Relaxation

One of my goals for 2013 was to make more time for relaxation. I've found a couple of ways that help integrate relaxation better into my lifestyle.



Reading: I've made it a goal to read for about 30 minutes every night after class. Not homework or academic reading. Just personal fun reading. I've been working on The Hunger Games and I've found homework more bearable knowing I will have time to read something fun later in the evening. It will also get me closer to my other goal of reading 10 books for fun this year.

Journaling: I tried to do this last year and it lasted for about three months. This year, I'm only writing when I feel anxious about something. It's less pressure that way and putting it in my journal is a good way to release it. I've been trying to use people less as a way to vent and the journal helps with that.

Blogging: I've set aside time to work on four blogs a week and it really gives me something to look forward to. It's nice personal time where I feel like I'm not neglecting homework and it is incredibly relaxing. After I write a post, I feel like I've accomplished something for myself and I really love my blog so it gives me joy to see the long list of scheduled posts.

Lotion: It sounds so weird to say that but I've gotten in to the habit of putting lotion on every morning and it gives me a moment of peace in the morning before my day gets really busy. It's time focused just on me and no matter how small the moment, the point was to make more time for relaxation.

Meditation: Meditation doesn't have to be sitting on the floor saying "Om". I practice meditation by taking a moment to relax every time I get frustrated. I clear my head and take deep breaths. It doesn't always work and sometimes I feel like I'm just getting more frustrated but that's when it's time to take other steps. Usually taking deep breaths gets me to a point where I can deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment