Tuesday, September 18, 2012

What to Wear.... Preference as an Active

Preference to me is the most important ritual we hold. Recruitment is the key to the survival of a chapter and the key to recruitment is preference. In the fall, preference should make a very difficult choice easy. It should show potential new members exactly what they are going to represent if they wear your letters. That being said, as I approach my second fall preference as ritual chair, attire is extremely important. You want to show how seriously your chapter takes it values through the way you act and dress at preference. This is how I would ask my members to dress. I know other sororities have different requirements and you should definitely make sure you follow all of those. But this is what I would ask my chapter to wear.

The Dress: Black and classy. You're not going to the club. You're going to preference. Make sure it's got thick straps or wear a cardigan. It better get close to your knees or I'll kick you out. Think "interview". No cut outs or see-through lace nonsense.
The Shoes: Low heels are perfect. You want them to be comfortable because if I see you fidgeting during round one, I'll ask you to leave for round two. You can tell the experienced sisters from the new sisters. They can stand still facing forward for the whole 45 minutes. They don't shift from foot to foot because they know good shoes are crucial. And they better be all black. No white details, no bright flower. It's gotta be all black.
The Pin: My sisters know if I see you forgot your pin, you will be written up to standards. It's our badge! Make sure its on straight and over your heart. 
The Make-Up: Go neutral. I'm not a dictator with make up at preference because everyone wants to look pretty for the PNMs. Just make sure it's natural. Lipstick, foundation, and mascara are really all you need. Nail polish should be light and pretty to go with all your recruitment outfits. And if you're skipping the nylons, you better shave your legs and put lotion on. 
The Accessories: I am all for a cute headband or a flower. But it also better be black. It's our ritual requirements to be in all black. And your hair better be mostly down. I know it can get hot in that room but when everyone wears their hair down, it looks uniform and pretty.

Well that's it. I'm pretty straight forward with ritual attire. I expect it to all follow the rules because they reflect our values. But I also believe ritual attire can be cute and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment