Tuesday, September 11, 2012

What To Wear.... Preference as a Potential New Member

Preference as a potential new member is absolutely terrifying. When I went through recruitment, I heard that you were supposed to cry at Preference. I couldn't figure out what they were going to do to me to make me cry. Anyways, I knew you had to come fancy but when I arrived at the student union building, I realized there was no standard response to "fancy". Some PNMs showed up in semi-formal homecoming dresses and others like me showed up in sundresses and a cardigan. Then when I was Ritual chair, I wished our Panhellenic council had spent more time preparing girls for this important round because I realized we cut girls we absolutely loved based on our perceptions of how seriously they took our Preference. I'm sure the girl who brought coffee didn't mean any disrespect but it offended every sister in that room. That's the inspiration for this post. As recruitment season comes upon us, here is a simple description of what might impress a chapter.

Here's the breakdown:
The Dress: Think church. What would you wear to impress your grandma? Most chapters look for women who will uphold their values and dressing like you're going to the club will probably insult a lot of women. So go super classy. Think knee-length or longer. Personally, I would try to show off your personality without looking like you spend more time looking at magazines than studying for your finals. The beauty of this dress is the pattern isn't overwhelming but the color is bright and the combination of purple and gold will help you stand out a little. Avoid black. Most chapters require their sisters to wear black dresses during this round. Alternative options are skirts and pants but I find myself adjusting myself too much wearing a skirt or pants.

The Shoes: This is the only round I could appreciate wearing heels as a new member. Go with something comfortable. I recommend wearing them a few times outside before recruitment. You will spend at least some time on your feet and at least from personal experience, you may have to walk with 30+ people focused on you. The last think you want to do is trip. 

The Accessories: Again, class is key. Go with simple accessories that show your personality. I can't wear necklaces because I fiddle with them. If you know you play with your jewelry, skip it. When in doubt, get yourself some pearls. Real or fake, gold or white, every sorority woman appreciates pearls.

The Make-Up: This is where you can show your personality. If you are skilled with a make-up brush, go a little trendy. The only rule with make-up: waterproof mascara. If you do cry, you don't want to risk spending the rest of your rounds looking like a raccoon. 

No purse?!: I am a self-proclaimed purse addict. But don't bring one. Ritual is often an activity that requires both hands. No to mention you don't want to fiddle with it during the round and have women think you are disrespecting them. If you have something like keys or a phone, leave them with your Rho Gamma (or Rho Chi or Gamma Chi or whatever your campus calls them). You won't need them during the round anyways. If you go through in the winter, this won't be an issue as they expect you to have a jacket and they'll have a spot for these things.

Most importantly, remember that Preference is meant to make the choice easy. Not just for you, but for us too. So leave a lasting impression as there will be no more chances after this round to do so on the sorority you really want!

No comments:

Post a Comment