Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wednesday Writings

Dream Cast: Animal Farm by George Orwell

Before we get into my picks, I totally get this is a book about animals. I do not care. I'm dream casting humans to do the voice-overs based on the sound of their voices and personality. So anyways...

Napoleon:
Napoleon is the leader of the farm after the animals take over. He is intimidating, powerful, crafty, treacherous, and devious. So clearly Joaquin Phoenix. Do I have to explain this? Have you seen Gladiator? So yeah. Joaquin. He is all of these things. He can do devious creep well. I don't really feel the need to explain this one.

Snowball:
Snowball challenges Napoleon's power over the farm. He is intelligent, passionate, eloquent, and wins the loyalty of the other animals on the farm. Kenneth Branagh plays these powerful men who aren't all muscle and militant. Like Hamlet. He plays smart guys. I think his voice would contrast well with Phoenix's Napoleon.

Boxer:
Boxer is a strong, dedicated work horse. He is incredibly loyal and even when he is being carted away to his death, he holds all of the animals together. He likes to help but he is not smart like the pigs at all. He is always saying how he can work harder. I chose Jim O'Heir because Boxer kind of reminds me of Jerry from Parks and Rec. He isn't seen as smart but he does more than his fair share and come backs for more even when the group is unbearably mean to him. His voice would be slow and purposeful like I imagine Boxer to be.

Squealer:
Another pig, Squealer is exactly what his name says. He talks. A lot. He spreads the pigs' propaganda and justifies the pigs unfair claim over resources. Orwell utilizes Squealer to show how language can be used to maintain control. Um hello. Hunger Games. This is so Caesar from the Hunger Games. The voice of crazy land.

Old Major:
Orwell wrote Old Major as a mixture of Karl Marx and Vladimir Lenin. He is source of inspiration of the revolution. He dies and leaves Napoleon and Snowball to fight for his legacy. I just like Liam Neeson. He's got a great name.  Well and I think he could play the old, inspiring pig's speech really powerfully. It would be loud and full of inflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment