Tuesday, June 11, 2013

What to Wear: Business Casual

When I started at Family Video, I did some research on their dress code, "business casual." There is no standard for this common wardrobe requirement. So I decided I write my own recommendations based on my years of sorority business meetings. These are my spring/summer recommendations and they all come from Target so they are not expensive. Maybe I'll come up with some stuff for winter later. The key when it comes to working a place like Family Video in business casual is making sure you can do your job in your clothes. Business casual is all about the boss. If the boss is more formal, dress more formal. If the boss wears jeans, go for it. These are just guidelines.

Colors should be fairly neutral. I went with spring/summery colors and patterns but pair one pattern or pop of color with neutrals. Bottoms should be well tailored dress pants, capris, or knee-length skirts. Dresses are a fast, cool alternative. Tops should cover your cleavage. Cardigans are a good choice instead of coats. Trenches protect your cute outfit from spring rains. Flats save your feet instead of tacky sneakers or painful heels. Bags should be neutral too. Jewelry should minimal. Just a pretty bracelet or a watch. Notice I said "neutral" more than once. Neutral and professional is important for business casual.

What do you think? How do you wear business casual?

Business Casual

No comments:

Post a Comment