Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Wednesday Writings

A few weeks ago, I wrote a letter to myself from four years ago. Now I'm going to write a letter to myself for one year from now. I'll be graduating from college so it's appropriate with the letter I wrote a few weeks ago.

Future Jen,
What are you going to do with the freedom of choice? Are you as scared as I am? I've never had complete freedom to go and do whatever I want with my life. Right now, my brain is overrun with options. Will you go to grad school? Get a certification in a healthcare field? Take a year off? I hope you have more clarity than I do. Wait. That's a lot of pressure. I'm sorry. I know you might have even less clarity than I do right now. So don't feel pressure. I'm sure we will get through it.
Graduation! Yay! Are you relieved? I think I would be relieved. But I also think I might be sad. Leaving AST and the first home I picked for myself, GVSU, will be scary. How was alum ceremony? Because my goal is to make Emily cry. So did you accomplish that? Please tell me you did.
Don't let Mom, Dad, or anyone else ruin this for you. Don't let them bring a negative attitude to graduation day. Don't let them have too much say in the future. Just take your chance to be completely free and run with it. Everyone gets to have an opinion but you are not obligated to listen to it. I love them but let's just take this first chance to fall flat on our faces all on our own, mmk?
You go this. You so got this. Remember 4-years-ago-Jen? She is nothing like me and I am nothing like you. I've grown so much and I still have more to do. So I know you got this. Just remember how much you've grown and remember that whatever has happened, we've always figured it out so you will get it.
Love,
Past Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment