Monday, April 15, 2013

Spring Cleaning

Another post from my Spring Bucket List. As much fun as all the food and activities are, I put spring cleaning on my list for some motivation to get stuff done. I didn't actually clean my whole room. I limited my cleaning to the reorganization of my closet. With all the crafting I've been doing, the shelf in my closet became unruly. I'd been storing stuff I meant to up-cycle on my floor and I had already begun to clean out my wardrobe so it was getting a little out of hand. Here are the before pictures.

View from the door: All that stuff on the right is on the floor because I had literally no other place for it. The big blue bin is full of sorority shirts.

The cubes on the back wall were over flowing, particularly with purses and hoodies. As you can see, they also were home to all the beauty products that didn't fit on my shelf in the bathroom.

#shortpeopleproblems. I had just been tossing things up there because it had been so hard to get things off the shelf and put them back up in an orderly manner.

I began by clearing the shelf off and pulling everything out that was on the floor. Which gave me a tiny panic attack because it just made a big pile of stuff in my room that would all have to find a home before I could go to bed. Just look at the mess!

What you can't see is the pile that also took over my closet and how I was stuck in the closet while I attempted to reorganize.

I set my priority at the beginning: Crafting. I wanted all my crafting supplies organized in such a way that it would be easy to find what I was looking for. All those pretty patterned boxes and only one small box was dedicated to crafting. I knew I could consolidate my other boxes to make room for more crafty things. I ended up making all 6 pretty patterned boxes craft stuff along with a clear plastic tote for current projects so I wouldn't get down all 6 for one project.

All the sorority clothes and bag made it into the blue tote. The plastic bag just has plastic bags in it to use as garbage bags. The cubes got reorganized and the beauty supplies were consolidated down to just one shoe box and my box of samples.

All the stuff I use regularly got pulled to the front and everything else creates a secondary row at the back of the shelf. The big box of papers got sorted into two shoe boxes that have been labeled to make it easier.

The best part of this whole project? I can find what I need now and the whole thing cost me absolutely nothing. I didn't have to spend any money buying new organizational tools. I just rethought some stuff I already had and created a priority for the space. Perfect!

1 comment: