Thursday, April 11, 2013

Tiered Make Up Stand

I've been seeing all these cute little tiered stands on Pinterest. Like this little cutie from BHG. And then I realized the Dollar Store could be the perfect place to find what I'm looking for. So I walked around the Dollar Tree for approximately a million hours looking at all my options for trays and while I love their metal serving platters, I wanted the proportions of a small platter on top of a larger platter. I finally settled on some burner covers to get the proportions. I went to the craft store with a plan but as all my projects seem to go, the execution altered from my plan.

Supplies: Burner covers, super glue, candlestick, spray paint, and washi tape.
The original plan was to spray paint the tops and bottoms of the covers and maybe add some washi tape to the edge. That is not quite how it went.

After doing a test on the back of the trays, I didn't like the paint. I wasn't sure if it was the brand or the can or operator error but it spattered everywhere while I was spraying and created big splotches. It was a mess. And that little spot on the little cover? I sprayed that and the paint literally repelled off so that was it for the paint. I got the great idea that I could use the washi tape to add some flair to the edges  and leave the inside of the covers (mostly) white.

I did the little cover with pink washi tape and the big cover with purple chevron washi tape.

 I decided to clean up the inside edge too so I added the opposite color on the inside edge.

Then I just super glued the whole situation together.

And there she is all set up with my make up. I think after all this, I'm going to remake it some day. But for now it works and its cute. Plus it gives me a place to display my nail polish.

No comments:

Post a Comment