Monday, February 18, 2013

Snow

You remember my complaining when I introduced my winter bucket list? Yeah, well for whatever reason I still put a walk and a snowman on there. Anyways, this week Grand Rapids got 19 inches of snow and they're saying to plan on more. It's not packing snow for a snowman so I just took some pretty picture on campus to show you how lovely the snow looks around campus. Even the though snow looks pretty, I'm not sure why they have tours of high school juniors and their parents walking around with a windchill below zero but whatever. I'm not an amazing photographer with my little digital Kodak camera and it was really cloudy but GVSU does take amazing care of it's buildings and landscaping so it is a really pretty campus and that is what drew me there so here are my pretty pictures of snow.

The Cook Carillon Tower houses 48 bronze bells that ring every 15 minutes. They are actually 2 minutes early so you know if you are eating lunch or walking slowly, speed it up because you are about to be late. They play Christmas carols in December and bring in musicians in the spring to play and you can even peek in and watch from time to time.

You can't actually see cars from the main campus. All the main parking lots are hidden by buildings or man made hills and landscaping. Even most of the residence halls are fairly removed from parking lots.

The university arborist takes care of all 4,800 trees on GVSU's campus and they are all native to Michigan. GVSU is also home to a 7 acre arboretum as well as 4 gardens.

The Cook-Dewitt Center is the auditorium that overlooks the Valley. It is home to a huge old fashioned pipe organ and there are a lot of alumni weddings here in the spring and summer. It will always hold fond memories for me because they hold freshman orientation in this building. 

No comments:

Post a Comment